On Iloilo & KAPWA2 CONFERENCE:
The sadness was the knowledge that ships went down, more than 800 drowned and the question of why did the ships leave port when the typhoon was clearly headed towards central Visayas...this is the Philippines...where corruption is often blatant...on the plane ride I read many articles, including one which said that the company involved had many ship that have sunk during storms like this.
Once in Iloilo, our ride from the airport showed downed shacks, and trees, but the people here are resilient. Outside of homes, many had their belongings out to dry--furniture, clothing, etc.. One young girl, Adele, a conference coordinator, had lost her home, yet once the Kapwa2 Conference began she was back at work--organizing and handling all the needs of the foreign guests. I tried to give her my things, but she insisted all her family needed was perhaps more mosquito repellant, even refusing the small eco-flashlight I brought along (sorry mom). It's hard to see the devastation from where we are, the downtown now cleared of water. But on our ride past Antique, we saw where the concrete bridge was washed out, and yet they had already built a small replacement bridge, enabling us to visit the art studios of Momo.
This Kapwa2 Conference is a huge blessing for me. I was blessed to find many of my friends here, a huge surprize and so wonderful...these friends from Lake Sebu, Camiguin, Manila & making new ones from all over the PI. The Conference is on Pilipino Psychology-I'll explain more later, but it is filled with many culture bearers who have inspired me with their profound work in maintaining their living traditions. Also, there are many famous people here, in particular, the organizers are Kidlat Tahimik, International Filmmaker, and his wife, Dr. Katrin de Guia. Their story is a unique one, but you can google them yourselves... I am quite honored to be able to walk this path and find that in the crossroads there are many kindred spirits to be found who have much knowledge to pass to me.
7/7/2008 (We are 15 hours ahead PST):
My condensed schedule & limited access to the internet has not allowed me to report my experiences. The conference in particular was so intense that I still have yet to process my experience there...yet....
The adventure continues...hung out in Baguio, mostly with manong Kidlat Tahimik. His home is so cool and I was so blessed to be allowed to spend so much time with him and learn about all of his films and his filmaking process...besides touring around Baguio, I also mostly hung out with my friends Violeta, Jason & Ruel @ VOCAS- Victor Ortesia Community Art Space...viewing films from Japan on the Ainu Wedding & Bear Rituals & a brief excerpt of a film from Okinawa. Met lots of artists @ VOCAS, but also met a few @ Tama-wan Village & the gallery of Ben Hur Villanueva, the Arko ni Apo Gallery. I was blown away by his scultures & was blessed with the opportunity to interview him... One giant sculpture would've been beautiful in my house...oh, well too much $$$ to spend! Read about him here:
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2004/11/15/life/an.artist.for.others.html
Silly me, while trying to back up photos & half eating my meal, i also met the famous photographer, Tommy Hafalla, who was checking out my images on the computer while we talked...I was so stupid--didn't realize who he was & I asked him does he love black & white photography...DUH!!!! MEANWHILE, Ruel's wife Irene is giggling & laughing & trying to whisper to me that he's famous for his work!!! Nice guy, he mostly documents rituals in Sagada, but also cares for his elderly father here in Baguio. Read about these artists here:
http://www.homegrownart.net/history.htm
Tonight we leave for Kalinga Province & Mountain Province...This is quite a wonderful artistic & spiritual adventure for me!
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment